Thursday, October 25, 2012

Finding Our Way





Spirit often helps us find our way to things it would be useful for us to know about. For example, I discovered the music of Gabrielle Roth while I was looking through the music section at a used bookstore. I had never heard of her before but the jacket caught my attention and so I decided to try it. The notes on the jacket mentioned that she had also written a book, so I went out and got that after spending hours entranced by her music.

I have heard other people tell similar stories about how they were looking in a bookstore and a book fell off the shelf, and after they picked it up they decided to read it and it revealed something significant for them.

Or stories about how they were curious and went to hear someone give a free talk and that sparked their interest in a new topic.

Or when someone was simply scanning the Netflix downloads available and came across a documentary video that really opened their eyes.

I have heard stories about people who were curious to know more about a subject, and then somehow, it turns out that someone they work with knows about that subject and they just happen to mention it and they get introduced to a whole new world.

And then there are those moments when someone is visiting a health food store and gets a taste of a few different things they have never tried before and suddenly their food choices begin to change.

Years ago I worked for a corporation that moved me around the country for various assignments. When I got transferred to cities where I didn't know anyone, I looked for things to do. In one place, I started going to Sierra Club meetings and hiking with them and made a lot of new friends. In another city, on a day when I had no plans and knew no one, I saw an ad for a psychic fair, and so I went and got introduced to a whole new world.

Spirit finds all kinds of ways to help us find our way. Especially the things that look accidental or coincidental.

No comments: