Thursday, March 25, 2010

A Sweet Mystery

Here is an interesting thing to ponder. I have type 2 diabetes and it is controlled by a combination of diet, exercise and medications. I measure my blood sugars every day with a little blood sugar meter, the kind where you get a drop of blood from your fingertip.

Over the years I have observed how eating certain foods affects blood sugar. Those results are predictable, in the way that foods with lots of sugars in them make the numbers go up, but meats and vegetables let the numbers go to a lower level.

Exercise as simple as walking for an hour can make the blood sugar numbers go down by as much as 10 points. Any exercise will help regulate blood sugar and burn off calories.

To keep blood sugars stable, they recommend eating something every 4-5 hours.

So here is a mystery. I have noticed when I am busy doing a lot of readings, I have had stretches where I have not eaten for as much as 10-12 hours, and yet felt none of the symptoms of low blood sugar. No deliberate attempt to skip meals or anything, simply being busy and not having time to stop and eat, or maybe I should say I am happy to be busy and do not want to stop the flow for a meal break.

Of course I eat something at the end of the day. Next day blood sugar levels are normal. I have had this happen on more than one occasion, and it always surprises me, because, of course, I do not realize it until it is over.

Don't know if anyone else has had similar experiences or any insights to offer.

No comments: