Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Chop Wood, Carry Water

After all these years, I know nothing. I know that it may sound strange for me to say this, because I do readings for people, healings for people, have written books, edited magazines, taught classes of all kinds. Yet when I do a healing on someone or a reading for someone, I cannot say exactly how or why it worked. I just know that I helped to facilitate it. Being open to facilitate this flow from spirit is all I can do.

What comes to mind is that old Taoist saying. "What do you do before enlightenment? Chop wood, carry water. What do you do after enlightenment? Chop wood, carry water."

We just do what is in front of us to do, but we do not always know the ramifications of it. There are times when I have done what I thought was best to do, only to have someone either compliment me for doing so, or disparage me for doing so. So what do I do? I do what I think best.

One time, I called a person to ask them if I could use them for a referral on a job application. They told me that they were looking for someone, and asked if I would like to work there. I took the job and enjoyed working there until it was time to move on.

Sometimes we just have to be open and we will get what we need. Sometimes when we do what we need to do, unintended results happen. That's why I say that after all these years, I know nothing. I do what I need to do, and what happens after that can be surprising.

No comments: