Thursday, April 30, 2009

Spontaneous Remission

Last night I watched a movie called The Guitar, and it was even better than I thought it would be. It starts out with the premise of a woman being told by her doctor that she has terminal cancer and only has a month or two to live.

There have been quite a number of other movies that started out with that premise, but this one takes some very unexpected twists and turns.

I do not want to tell you too much about the plot because it may spoil it for you. In fact I will tell you one memorable thing which reveals the outcome, but there are still many other surprises along the way.

She outlives her prognosis and goes back to see her doctor. Her doctor consults with other doctors and they are amazed that she has had a spontaneous remission. Her doctor says it like this. "I have heard about other cases like this where a person has changed their life so completely that the cancer no longer recognizes the person as their host, and so it leaves."

That struck me as an amazing way to say it. Imagine changing your life so much that the cancer no longer recognized you as its host, so it leaves.

No comments: