Monday, September 22, 2008

How Do You Feel The Change of Season?

Today is the Fall Equinox, the beginning of the season. Does it really make a difference if we take time on these days to acknowledge the change of seasons? I think it does. I can feel it.

I have felt it for several days leading up to now. I have been noticing and appreciating the change in the weather. It is a little cooler and cloudier now. Sometimes it rains. The stores are piled high with fresh apples and apple cider. The newspapers have advertisements for symphony concerts. I can sense the scales tipping to darkness. Tonight will be perfect for a glass of dark red wine and a reflection on the turning of the summer into fall. I like the feeling.

Years ago, days like the Fall Equinox and Spring Equinox would come and go without any special observation by me. I could tell that there were seasonal changes in the air, but I was not quite clear about when or what they meant in any real way. When we track the events in our lives according to paydays or vacations, quarterly reports, deadlines or other markers, we have a different sense of time.

Tracking with the seasons feels more natural. It is less frantic. I feel more in harmony with whatever is going on around me. Can you feel it too?

No comments: