Saturday, January 17, 2009

What's Next?

So if we tie yesterday's train of thought back to the personal, what do we have? We looked at the free flow of ideas in the news concerning big events, but is there a free flow of ideas in our life?

When we get to a point where we realize that we need to change careers, do we insist on continuing to try and find a job in our former field, or do we look around to see what else is possible? I know that there was a time in my life a few years ago when I was frustrated at not being able to find another job as a magazine editor, even though I had many years of experience in that field. After sending my resume and letters into the black hole of internet submissions and not even getting a reply in most cases, I finally did a mental housecleaning and decided that it was time for a new chapter in my life. I thanked my spirit guides for having given me that wonderful life and career experience and then acknowledged that that experience was not firmly in my past and that my future direction had to be something different.

So at that point, I decided that it was time to make strides toward changing my career to being a reader, healer and teacher full time. This takes time, of course, so it is important to realize that the day job will still be necessary for a while until my schedule fills up with clients and events.

I am realistic about the fact that the transition takes time, grateful that I have a day job until the other flourishes, and look at this as developing my next career, which is something I have wanted to do more of for years anyway.

There is a great freedom in letting go of what was, and working to make a reality out of what we want to have. I experienced a solid and lasting change of energy as I no longer was disappointed at opportunities lost or jobs not offered, and devoted my energy instead to making the kind of life I want to live.

In your life, have you been able to let go of what was in order to work on creating what's next?

No comments: