Thursday, July 15, 2010

Bodies Find a Rhythm

Since they changed my hours on the day job and I am getting up way earlier now, I am having to go to bed earlier. My body isn't quite used to that, so I am taking sleeping pills to help me get used to sleeping earlier.

It is funny how they work. Sometimes I will feel groggy in a little while, sometimes it seems like they don't take effect for well over an hour. That seems strange to me because I expected that they would work the same way all the time.

Changing sleep patterns is a zombie sort of state. There will be times when I really want to take a nap, but I have to keep working. Then I am at home and slip into that state of beyond tired where I get a second wind. I try and make good use of that time for writing, but it gets to a point where I can't type and everything looks kind of wavy. Last night as I was writing, the screen looked like paper that got wet and then dried and had high and low spots.

Just imagine what it must be like for those people who get their shifts changed around frequently.

Our bodies acclimate to the rhythms of our lives. When we change them like this, there is a dream state that is interrupted by sleep then waking up at different times. Bodies find a rhythm, and we get used to functioning in it. I am mining these changes for every bit of creativity I can scavenge from them.

I can feel sleep making its approach, but not quite ready to take over yet. So I will leave this for now, while I still can find my way around the keyboards. Watch how the dreams shift too. If I find something interesting, you will know about it.

Bodies find their own rhythm at times like this, and your body lets you know what's next. You might have planned something different, but your body may have other plans. Did you ever notice that?

No comments: