Monday, April 15, 2013

American Mystic




Tonight I picked a movie off Netflix instant downloads to watch and it was a great find. It is a documentary called American Mystic by Alex Mar and I loved it. I think that this is one of the best films on the subject of alternative forms of spirituality I have ever seen. The viewer really gets the feel of why these people do what they do and what they get out of making their spiritual practice an important part of their lives. I deeply appreciate that the film neither took the approach of "look at those weirdos" that many documentaries do, or the other type of documentary that is all about trying to explain different theories of spirituality. 

You really get to just be with these people for a little while and see what they do and hear them talk about how they feel about it. Because of this approach, you will probably hear things in the movie that you don't understand, and that's fine. The curious people will go look something up to try and find answers to their questions. And prompting thoughtful questions is a good thing. I love the movie. You can check it out for yourself and see what you think. If you are just noticing the movies that are hyped all over the place, this is one that, like me, you probably never heard of. Glad I discovered it. The photo below is of Alex Mar, the director. The one at the top is the way the jacket of the film looks.


No comments: