Monday, September 19, 2022

Equinox = Balance

 

Equinox = Balance
The Autumn Equinox comes on Thursday September 22 this year. This is the one day every fall where day & night are equal in length before the scale tips and our nights become longer going into the winter. This symbol of balance is an important reminder of the beauty and joy that comes from keeping a balance in our life.
Many of us have experienced this and it is a challenge to keep our life in balance.
Example. A man came to see me distressed because he was very successful in his business. Why would that be stressful? He started his own business and it was so successful that he was traveling 40 weeks of the year and working 80 hours a week, and he was proud and happy that his business was so strong.
The problem was that he had a wife and child and he knew that if he kept up that schedule that one day he would not have a family any more because they wanted time with him. He knew that he needed to hire some good help so that he could still serve his clients while having time for his family, but he was reluctant to trust anyone else with his business, so that decision was a challenge for him, but that was the step that needed to be taken to save his family. His life was out of balance.
Those who choose not to be married or have children still have the same need for balance in their life. They still have friends, family or activities they want to spend time with, in addition to the energy they put into their career.
Many of us face those kinds of challenges in life, and it takes conscious effort to achieve that balance.
The covid lockdowns caused many people to make new choices about how they work. Many were happy to be able to work from home to help with that balance. Others changed jobs so that they could have more balance between the time for family, friends and activities they really enjoyed and the work they do to earn an income. One thing the pandemic reminded us about what to make time for those we care about before it is too late.
I like to think of these challenges as an adventure. Years ago, when I worked for a large company that that moved me around the country and dropped me off in various cities where I did not know anyone, and all I had in that city was a job and the people I worked with.
So I kept my energy high by going out and discovering what places, things or events were interesting in that new city, and in the process went out and met people and made new friends. I saw others of my peers who failed and went back home because they spent their whole time in the new city missing their old favorite people, places and events instead of turning their attention to what the new place had to offer.
We have to keep re-balancing when our life changes.
Each season, we take a look at re-balancing. We experience another Equinox in the Spring, which tips the scale to more daylight.
This week, as we celebrate all the good things that we have harvested this season, whether it was edibles from our garden, a new job, a new home, a new relationship, a new hobby or anything else, notice how it contributes to the balance in our life.
Many of the people who changed jobs during the pandemic were able to find a better balance by these changes.
One of the changes that keeps me in balance is knowing what kind of balance keeps me healthy and happy in my work. Experience has taught me what is a good pace and how many clients per day makes a good working schedule and making time to go to the gym every day.
Being out of balance will present health challenges in terms of stress, lack of exercise, poor diet choices, lack of good sleep. These come into alignment when we restore our balance.
When I was not doing that, sometimes I would feel out of sorts and overwhelmed. Keeping the balance in my schedule helps me serve all of you well plus do things to keep myself healthy & happy.
Give some thought this Autumn Equinox to what changes you may need to make to keep the balance in your life. Do you have plenty of energy to do excellent work and have enough energy for the family, friends and activities you enjoy? It is always wise to take another look to see if our the goals we have set are working well, and then adjust.
Food for thought for the time of balance in our life.
I always love hearing from you, so if you feel like sending me a note, calling or coming to see me, please do!
Have a wonderful day!

No comments: