Tuesday, October 15, 2024

That Sweet Tooth

 

That Sweet Tooth

When I was a little kid, my favorite holiday was always Halloween. We put on costumes and walked around the neighborhood, filling our bags with free candy. What a great holiday, dressing in costumes, playing tricks on people and feeding that sweet tooth.


These days, Halloween means doing tarot readings for costume parties, and this is as much fun as going trick or treating.


Now, over the years, I get a sweetness that comes from spiritual celebrations where we remember and honor our dead. When we focus on the good things that someone did for us and the important part they played in our life, we summon happy memories rather than the ending of a person's life, we gather encouragement and perspective from that.


This is why I always experience October as a sweet time. It was a different appetite that we were feeding when we were kids. Now as adults, the appetite that we are feeding is for wisdom and balance.


Taking time to reflect on the people in our life, we express gratitude to those who have given us other gifts, things we learned from them that has lasted us a lifetime.


Whether you celebrate Day of the Dead, Samhain, All Souls Day other spiritual tradition, it is a sweet tradition. As adults, when we reflect on the people we know who have already passed into the next realm, we have different realizations about both the tricks and the treats we have bagged during our life.


These spiritual celebrations are lights on our path, with the auras of those who have been with us for a part of our life illuminating our visions and goals.


Sometimes we get the trick, sometimes we get the treat. Experience teaches us to savor both with a smile.



I always love hearing from you, so if you feel like sending me a note, calling or coming to see me, please do!


If any of you has any idea you would like me to include in my newsletters, I will consider all suggestions.


Have a wonderful day!

No comments: