Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Play Dates

I have heard people use this term and it just strikes me as so totally weird and bizarre. Some parents are so busy scheduling their kids lives that they have it planned out to shuttle them from soccer to ballet to piano to whatever that they have to schedule in a play date so that their kid can go play with somebody else's kid. Weird.

When I was a kid, my parents would simply say "go on outside and play." They just figured we would find some other kid in the neighborhood to play with. If it wasn't basket ball or softball, we would play handball off the wall of a garage or the front stairs. Maybe we would ride our bicycle over to the library and find a book to read. Maybe I would turn on the garden hose and look for somebody to squirt. Depends on the time of year. Maybe we would get into a snowball fight.

After I got old enough to have dates where I would go out and play, they usually involved a girl, and my parents didn't make them for me.

Maybe it is just me, but some of the changes I see in the world just strike me as oddly funny.

No comments: