Tuesday, May 3, 2022

How do I know when?

 

How do I know when?
How do we know when is the right time to make our move?
Our life is made up of a series of rhythms within rhythms, so recognizing these patterns can help us know when to make our move to begin, end or change something.
You may have noticed different rhythms in your body but not always recognize them for what they are. At times it may feel that although things are moving rapidly in the world around me, I might feel a slow moving energy within that is more deliberate and the rhythm is aligned with my intentions which make sense to me even though they are not in sync with other events, they are in sync with what I am working on. So the rhythm within the rhythm is how we keep on track in our life in the middle of all of this.
One that we all recognize is circadian rhythms, which is our natural rhythm for being awake and going to sleep. When we go to sleep about the same time every night and get up about the same time every morning, our body gets better sleep because is finds its rhythm and whatever we are doing works better when we find the rhythm that works best with it.
Women have a monthly cycle related to menstruation, and a different monthly energy is experienced by everyone when we follow the cycles of the moon every month. There are natural times for using that energy to decide when to begin or wind down an energy.
The Farmer's Almanac always has pages in there that detail these times for timing all the rhythms of our life, from starting new business, ending old business, the best times to cut hair, best times to cut nails, best times to bake, best times to brew, best times for hunting, fishing, planting, pruning and much more.
Ultradian rhythms happen throughout our day, often in 90 minute cycles. For example, when working out at the gym, I notice that my peak performance time seems to be 90 minutes. Often when studying a book or working on my computer, I notice that at these intervals I need a break. Often when teaching I offer breaks at intervals to help with this. We all need breaks to stretch, move around a bit or get water or something to refocus our energies.
You might never have noticed the pattern before but now that you do, you can plan to use it.
Are you aware of the patterns of rhythms in your life? Are you making good use of them?

The photo above is the great drummer, Layne Redmond, one of my teachers who left us much too soon. She is one of the reasons I love drum breaks and use sound in healing.
They say that breath was the first drummer. Think about that when you are taking a break.
I always love hearing from you, so if you feel like sending me a note, calling or coming to see me, please do!
Have a wonderful day!

No comments: