Thursday, June 12, 2008

Spring Fever

When I first moved out here two years ago and they told me that nobody plants their gardens until May, I thought they were exaggerating.

I had just come from a climate where we had daffoldils blooming by February 1, and then there was a steady parade of blooming flowers, shrubs and trees: tulips, azaleas, honeysuckle, wisteria, dogwood, cherry, magnolia, and on and on. Annuals and vegetables were in the ground by Spring Equinox and showing vigorous signs of growth by May.

But here we are in April and we still go back and forth between sunny and warm and cold and snowy, with hot and cold days back to back. It is snowing outside right now, and my mind is still thinking that this is the time of year for spring, but the snow is falling and it looks like winter.

No comments: