Thursday, June 12, 2008

Discovering What Works

If you would have asked me earlier in my life if I had any desire to be the editor of a new age newspaper, the very question would have bamboozled me. Yet, that became my life for a number of years. Later on it became more fashionable to refer to ourselves as holistic or metaphysical instead of new age. Point is, that we don’t always know where we will end up, geographically or otherwise. I didn’t always dream of living in Colorado, but due to changes in personal circumstances, this is where I moved two years ago.

Geographic change can presage other changes in not only the physical body, but also the mental, emotional and spiritual bodies. For example, a business move earlier in my life led directly to my involvement in metaphysics. Moving your body can be a catalyst for things unforseen. One day, after the corporation moved me to yet another city where I had no friends, relatives, or anything else but my job, I was looking around for things to do. So the flip side of the situation was that I had even more choices of things to do. The boundaries of my world expanded. Art fairs, cultural festivals, hikes with the Sierra Club, and then one day, I spotted an ad for a psychic fair. I thought to myself, I’ve never been to one of those. So I went.

Prior to that, I had my own deck of cards, and had used the I Ching, but never went to a psychic fair. Suddenly, a whole new world opened up to me. I had no idea that so many people were into this stuff. At that time, I was working in advertising and business writing, and just for variety, one day I approached the publisher of the first new age publication in Atlanta and offered to write an article a month for her, and took all kinds of assignments.

It was pure pleasure for me to interview healers, psychics, authors, musicians, artists and others and write about them. I was consistent and persistent as a contributing writer, and then one day the publisher asked me to become the editor and that path lasted for a long time, during which I helped create three other new age magazines and newspapers. I had no idea where all this was taking me, but I enjoyed doing what I was doing so I kept on doing it.

Each month I met new people, learned new things and had countless opportunities to participate in events and workshops in addition to interviewing all kinds of great people, both famous and not so famous. My world of experience included everything from walking on fire to speaking at expos to drumming all night for dancers. I met Tibetan Buddhist Monks, Carlos Nakai, people who claimed to have been cured of cancer by energy healing and vegetarian diets, and people who claimed to have ridden in spaceships.By this long, winding road then, I left the corporate world and immersed myself into the entire spectrum of what came to be called new age, holistic and metaphysical.

I just kept going for the experience, examining the whole world of possibilities and discovering what works.

No comments: