Thursday, June 12, 2008

Health Nuts?

It is interesting to observe how much of what used to be referred to as alternative has moved into the mainstream. Not so many years ago, people who shopped in health food stores were called "health nuts."

But since certain recent government administrations dating back to the 80s decided that we have too much govenment regulation, we seem to have a lot more problems.Back in the 60s & 70s for example, I do not remember that we had so many food recalls for e coli or salmonella causing millions of pounds of food to be destroyed because it was contaminated and people were getting sick.

Ah, who needs all those pesky food inspectors? So now we see health food stores all over the place, and many of them are very successful because people want more of what they sell.

Personally, it is just too expensive for me to go all organic, but at least some of what I eat is organic and I definitely read the labels on the foods I buy anad make the most practical decisions I can with my money. So I guess paying more attention to what we put into our bodies is not really nuts at all. And yes, I do think that hiring more food inspectors to check out the food processing plants would be a good thing for our govenment to do.

No comments: